The History of the Bull Ring
The construction of a circular arena on the Baratillo hill was started in 1760 to replace the rectangular bull ring which could be found there, and it wasn’t completed until 1881. Subsequently, in 1761, the construction was tackled in chamfer (each one being equivalent to four arches). The foremen during this first stage were Francisco Sanchez de Aragon and Pedro and Vicente de San Martin. The bull ring’s interior façade, named the Prince’s Gallery, was concluded in 1765. This gallery consisted of two parts, the gate which provided access to the bull ring and through which the victorious bullfighters left the arena and the gallery in its true sense, used exclusively by the Royal Family. The upper part of the gallery is made up of four arches under a semi-circular dome, the top part of which is covered in white and blue tiles. The sculptures which finish it off are the work of the Portuguese sculptor Cayetano de Acosta. The Gallery was created in honour of The Prince of Spain, Felipe de Borbón, son of Felipe V and Isabel de Farnesio.
In 1786 the construction was stopped. It was believed to be finished, despite only a third of the bull ring having been constructed, leaving a panoramic view of the Cathedral and the Giralda from the stands, as was reflected in many images from that period.
In 1881 the construction finally came to an end.
Between 1914 and 1915 the stand’s front row seats were remodelled under the supervision of the Sevillian architect Aníbal González, replacing stonework by brickwork and building in a more gradual slope.